- Future Students
- DVM degree program
- Graduate Programs
- Request information
- Contacts, Map, and Directions
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Equine Herpesvirus 1/EHV-1 PCR
|Test Name:||Diagnostic Section:||Fee:|
|Equine Herpesvirus Type 1/EHV-1 neuropathogenic and wild type PCR||Molecular Diagnostics||$48.50 *|
|Species:||Set up days:||Turn Around Time:|
|Equine||M, Tu, W, Th, F||2-3 days
24 hours if **STAT
|EDTA whole blood, deep nasal swab. Recommend testing both nasal swab and blood. Will test both specimens from the same horse for a single *fee.|
|Collect whole blood in EDTA tube, collect nasal swabs (synthetic swab, plastic shaft) in sterile tubes (no anticoagulant or gel). Refrigerate samples. Do not allow blood to freeze.|
|Refrigerated, leak proof containers. Overnight shipping with ice packs.
|This Allelic Discrimination PCR assay will differentiate between wild type and neuropathogenic genotypes. *Fee is $48.50 each (includes testing of both nasal swab and blood from the same horse) for the first 2 animals; each additional animal at the same time from the same owner is $33.50 per test.
**STAT fee will be added
PCR Testing of non-symptomatic, exposed horses is NOT recommended
Submit serum samples for testing non-symptomatic horse for exposure to the EHV-1 virus
- Request EHV-1 serology
Suspect EHV or EHM case (live horse with clinical disease).
- Wear disposable gloves and change gloves between each horse
- Collect whole blood into EDTA and label sample (preferably have an assistant label samples)
- If a twitch is used to restrain the horse, it must be washed and disinfected between horses
- Nasal swab collected using Dacron tipped swab with plastic shaft. Swab should be in contact
- with nasal mucosa for at least several seconds.
- Swabs are available from the VeterinaryDiagnostic Laboratory. Please call 541-737-3261.
- Place swab in a sterile tube, (no anticoagulants or gel) and label sample.
- Perform hand hygiene between horses sampled and put on new pair of examination gloves
- Request the EHV-1 real-time PCR test and virus isolation (additional feel for virus isolation).
- The real-time PCR test performed by the OSU VDL provides typing of the virus based on the
DNA polymerase gene, distinguishing the neurotropic marker from the non-neurotropic marker
- Keep samples cool but not frozen and ship by overnight delivery to the following address:
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Oregon State University
134 Magruder Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331-4801