OSU Summer Veterinary Experience
The OSU Summer Veterinary Experience is a hands-on learning experience for academically talented high school students interested in veterinary medicine.
The cost of the program is $650. Full scholarships, including housing and meals, will be available for selected students who meet established criteria including, but not limited to: 1) come from a low income family, 2) be a first generation college student, or 3) have an ethnic or cultural background that is underrepresented in the veterinary profession.
The program takes place in a university environment and includes both social and educational activities. College faculty, graduate students, and veterinary students will serve as mentors and instructors for the participants. The students will have the opportunity to participate in research projects, as well as clinical activities in the veterinary teaching hospital and in off-campus settings.
Mentors and instructors will work with each student to discover and explore her/his talents and understanding of the basic sciences, animal and human health, and social sciences. Special attention will be devoted to development of interpersonal and leadership skills, by engagement in learning projects, discussions and public speaking opportunities. Throughout the experience, staff will provide a supportive atmosphere, with emphasis on teamwork and open discussion. The participants will also receive guidance on preparing for college and the financial aid process.
To be eligible for the program, students must:
(1) be able to attend the whole week of the program, and stay in the residence dormitories at Oregon State University;
(2) be a sophomore or junior in high school in Oregon (entering junior or senior year in fall 2016)
(3) have enrolled in science classes and received acceptable grades in these;
(4) have an interest in exploring veterinary medicine or another health-related career; and
(5) have demonstrated maturity, initiative and curiosity about the world in general.
Applications for the 2017 Summer Veterinary Experience will be accepted beginning in March 2017.
What are students saying about their Summer Vet Experience?