- Future Students
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Youth Summer Program
OSU Summer Veterinary Experience
The OSU Summer Veterinary Experience is a hands-on learning experience for academically talented, low-income and minority high school students interested in veterinary medicine.
Students selected for the program will get a full scholarship, including housing and meals to attend the program for one whole week. The program takes place in a college environment that includes both social and educational activities. College faculty, graduate students, and veterinary students will serve as mentors and instructors for the participants. The students will have the opportunity to participate in research projects, as well as clinical activities in the veterinary teaching hospital and in off-campus settings.
Mentors and instructors will work with each student to discover and explore her/his talents and understanding of the basic sciences, animal and human health, and social sciences. Special attention will be devoted to development of interpersonal and leadership skills, by engagement in learning projects, discussions and public speaking opportunities. Throughout the experience, staff will provide a supportive atmosphere, with emphasis on teamwork and open discussion. The participants will also receive guidance on preparing for college and the financial aid process.
To be eligible for the program, students must:
(1) be able to attend the whole week of the program, and stay in the residence dormitories at Oregon State University;
(2) be a sophomore or junior in high school in Oregon;
(3) be from a low-income family and/or a family with little or no history of attending college;
(4) have enrolled in science classes and received acceptable grades in these;
(5) have an interest in exploring veterinary medicine or another health-related career; and
(6) have demonstrated maturity, initiative and curiosity about the world in general.
The application deadline for 2013 has passed. Check this website in Spring 2014 for the next session.
Questions? Contact Aarika Guerrero: 541-737-2268 or email@example.com