The 2022 SVE group photo.
The OSU Summer Veterinary Experience is a hands-on and engaging experience for academically talented high school students interested in veterinary medicine. We plan to host the next Summer Veterinary Experience July 28 through August 2, 2024. This is a residential program and participants stay on the Oregon State Corvallis campus for the duration of the program. There is a competitive application process as we receive far more applications than have spots in the program.
Mentors and instructors work with students to discover and explore their talents and understanding of the basic sciences, animal and human health, and social sciences. Throughout the experience, staff provide a supportive atmosphere, with emphasis on teamwork and open discussion. Participants also receive guidance on preparing for college and the financial aid process. While the schedule for the program varies slightly each year, we generally offer sessions on undergraduate and DVM admissions, how to do a physical exam, utilize microscopes to look at parasites, small animal rehabilitation demonstrations, clinical skills labs, career panel discussion, tours, and much more!
We are so thankful for the support of Banfield Pet Hospital, Zoetis, WilVet, Dechra, and all of our wonderful partners who have helped provide sponsorship for this program!
To be eligible for the program, students must:
(1) be able to attend the program in-person at our Corvallis campus;
(2) be a sophomore or junior in high school (entering junior or senior year in fall);
(3) have enrolled in science classes and received acceptable grades in these;
(4) have an interest in exploring veterinary medicine or another health-related career; and
(5) have demonstrated maturity, initiative and curiosity about the world in general.
The Summer Veterinary Experience has a competitive application process. The application is open March 1 through April 15 each year. We expect to communicate decisions to applicants in early May. The application has closed for this year, but please check back in March 2024!
The cost for the program this year will be $850. This includes room and board and all activities for the week. We have a limited number of full scholarships available to applicants who meet specific criteria. To be considered for a full scholarship, applicants must meet one or more of the following criteria:
(1) be of an ethnic or racial group underrepresented in the veterinary field;
(2) be a first-generation college student;
(3) be from a family with low socioeconomic status.
If you have questions about the program or your application, please contact Tess Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.