q: What courses should a high school student take to prepare for a career in veterinary medicine?

A: For a career in veterinary medicine, a high school student should develop a strong background in biology, chemistry and physics. Courses in English, social science and speech are also necessary since interpersonal and professional communications skills are important assets in veterinary medicine.

q: When should I begin obtaining veterinary medicine experience and exposure?

A: Students considering veterinary medicine as a career option should begin obtaining veterinary medical and animal experience as soon as possible.

q: What type of veterinary experience and exposure are necessary?

A: It is preferred that applicants receive substantial exposure to multiple disciplines within the veterinary field. These include clinical practice with large and/or small animals, research, industry, zoological or exotic animal medicine, public health and food safety.

q: What should I major in at college?

A: No preference is given for any particular major. All prospective applicants are encouraged to develop plans for an alternate career. It is recommended that applicants pursue a bachelor's degree in a desired field in the event they are not accepted into the DVM program, rather than concentrating solely on a pre-veterinary program.

q: How many years are required in veterinary college?

A: Four years of study are required in the professional program to obtain a DVM degree, regardless of the number of years spent in pre-professional or pre-veterinary preparation.

q: How are minority student applications considered?

A: Oregon State University Carlson College of Veterinary Medicine is sincerely interested in attracting qualified minority applicants as described in Student Selection Criteria.

q: Where can I get further information about a career in veterinary medicine?

A: More information is available from the American Veterinary Medical Association or the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC) . Additional information can be found in a book published by the AAVMC titled Veterinary Medical School Admission requirements in the United States and Canada (VMSAR). To order this book, visit the AAVMC website.

q: I have questions about becoming an Oregon resident. Who should I contact?

A: For information regarding residency, the regulations regarding this issue can be found at OSU Admissions page. If you prefer to speak with someone about your specific situation, you may call the residency officer at 541-737-4411 or toll free at 1-800-291-4192.

Q: Does OSU offer a Veterinary Technician program?

A: OSU does not offer a veterinary technician program. Portland Community College offers a Veterinary Technology Program and Central Oregon Community College has also started a Veterinary Technician program. Linn-Benton Community College has a Veterinary Assistant program. Please call LBCC for more information.