State of Oregon DVM Licensing Regulations
Oregon Veterinary Medical Examining Board

  1. Graduate of a veterinary medical school accredited by the AVMA, or if a foreign graduate, have a certificate from ECFVG, PAVE or other equivalency program approved by the Board
  2. Passed the NBC/CCT or NAVLE and Juris Prudence exams.
  3. If you have less than one year’s US experience, you must obtain an Intern Permit and practice under the supervision of an Oregon-Licensed veterinarian for one year (or the balance of a year).

*If you meet the following conditions, you may include a letter requesting waiver of the CCT. Your letter must cite compliance with each of these requirements:

  • Graduate of an accredited veterinary school or earned ECFVG certificate prior to 1991;
  • Engaged in five contiguous years of active veterinary clinic practice immediately preceding date of application;
  • Have held license(s) in good standing in other US states or provinces since graduation; and
  • Have continuing education of at least 10 hours per year during the five years immediately preceding date of application.

Scores must be reported directly to the Board from VIVA. If you tested in Oregon, you do not need to request a score transfer.
North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE): Administered via computer during two periods in spring and winter. Passing score as established by National Board Examination Committee.
NBE/CCT: Passing score before December 1992 is 75.00 based on 1.5 standard deviations. After December 1992, passing score is the criterion referenced score of 425.
Juris Prudence Exam: Open-book 40-question test on veterinary laws and rules of Oregon. The exam and regulations will be sent to applicants upon receipt of the license application and $75 fee. A passing score of 95% (38 correct answers) is required.
Complete and submit the application and fee. The Juris Prudence Exam will be sent to you to complete and return. When you pass the JP exam, you will be sent an activation form. You may not practice in Oregon until you activate your license or Intern Permit. Complete and send in the activation form, along with the $100 fee. Your Permanent License or Intern Permit will be issued upon receipt of all necessary documentation.
Permanent Licenses: If you have at least one year’s documented veterinary clinical experience, you may activate your Permanent License.
Intern Permits: New graduates or veterinarians with less than one year’s experience must obtain an Intern Permit. This permit expires one year after date of issue or less if prior experience is documented. Renewal notices are sent approximately six weeks prior to expiration date, at which time interns may activate their Permanent License or request another Intern Permit if one year’s experience has not been acquired. Current veterinary school seniors may submit application materials prior to graduation; however an Intern Permit will not be issued until the Board receives either a dean’s letter confirming graduation or a diploma copy.
Continuing Education: Active licensees are required to report 30 hours of CE every odd year, i.e. ’05, ’07, ’09, etc.